Thursday, July 28, 2011

The W Hong Kong

I've been to Hong Kong several times now, and the W Hotel is by far my new favorite place to stay. It's not really recommended for the budget-conscious traveler, but if you're willing to spend a bit more money to enjoy the comfort and reliability of a well-known hotel group (the W is a part of the Starwood Group), but still have that hip, boutique hotel vibe, then this is the place to be.


This particular hotel had a nice little area for Starwood Preferred Guests. It adds that little extra touch to make loyal guests feel like they're appreciated. I loved the mini madeleines! 


I liked the quirky 'home library' vibe that was prevalent throughout the entire hotel. From the lobby and the individual floors with the bookshelves, to the actual room number! And since I love horses, that big white horse could do no wrong design-wise in my book. FYI, everything was glued down. We're in Asia guys, where people like to take things ;)


The room was quite large for Hong Kong standards, and the design of it very ingenious. The bathroom was designed with sliding doors, thus creating the illusion that the room is very spacious. The TV could be hidden by a slider as well. To whomever designed this room...please design my future apartment/house! I should note that I was a huge fan of the rain shower, and as always, I hoarded all the Bliss products. A girl can never have enough travel-sized beauty stash, right?


The W is also known for their cutesy knick-knacks, and their smart spin on words. The Wish thing at the top was actually a kaleidoscope. It's nice to let your inner-child come out and play once in a while! I haven't had a White Rabbit candy since I was a wee little girl, so this was a welcome snack. I found out a little too late that the tin of pillow mints contained in fact, M&M's...they were all a melty mess once I opened it in Jakarta.


The most important meal of the day is breakfast, and the W's breakfast buffet certainly did not disappoint. I think I gained 5 lbs just from eating this every morning. There was a vast selection of freshly squeezed juices, breads, pastries, fruits, as well as English/American and Asian breakfasts. And of course, there was an egg station, because what is a breakfast buffet without the egg station? Yum.


I can't help it...my inner-child came out again and I just had to play with these adorable salt & pepper ghosts during breakfast. That's what I love about the W. You have all the grown-up comforts that we as adults have grown accustomed to, but with just the right amount of playful touches to brighten up your trip.

Things to do on my next trip there: try out the gym and the pool. Because ahem...even though I had the best intentions to do so, and even brought along my workout clothes and bikinis, at the end of the day I was just too exhausted. And I do not wake up at some ungodly early hour on my holidays.

For more info, reservations, etc: W Hong Kong (in Kowloon)



2 comments:

paddle to shore said...

ummm, yeah, this looks pretty amazing!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that pretty cool

Post a Comment